<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Why Women Should Dress Modestly 

First of all, this article was written for Christians. Unbelievers [a Biblical term], or those who only claim they are Christians but do not truly live the Christian lifestyle may not be able to appreciate what I wrote about here, and may only be dumbfounded at what they read which they may consider as extreme unnecessaries or comments coming from a repressed being. I tell the Christian that this is neither of those.

One thing I admired about the first Christian group I belonged to was that they held strict guidelines to what our sisters would wear. Example, they were not allowed to wear shorts, or anything that would reveal their legs, when in the presence of men. Of course, there were some who made this a simple legalistic rule. Since the group was dominantly a Campus Ministry, many sisters, right after they graduated, would start wearing revealing pieces of clothing, which they were previously discouraged to wear. Some even avoided wearing them only when within eyeshot of brothers, but would guiltlessly wear them in front of male unbelievers, thus defeating the essence of the “rule”.

I suppose it doesn’t take a great deal of research to be able to conclude that many men fall to lust. Great men of God have fallen to such sin, from David and Solomon, to modern day preachers. And when I say fallen, I do mean fallen, with a dull, sickening thud! And how can anyone avoid being exposed to such temptations, especially at this day and age. You turn on the TV, open the newspaper or magazine, and you have it right there in front of you, women often needlessly exposing their bodies. It doesn’t even have to be a regular program, it’s prevalent in commercials too. Even if you don’t have such at your abode, once you do step out of the safety of your homes, how can you avoid the ones that are displayed prominently on billboards or ads, or at the front page of the tabloids being hawked by even the youngest of street-peddlers. It seems that only the blind can get away from these. Why look so far away? Just consider the woman beside you, who although you may not even know, you may have already seen very private parts of which should have been reserved only to her husband.

“Ok, you’re a conservative… a very extreme conservative… I get that,” you may be saying to yourself about this writer. But that statement would only oversimplify the situation. Men struggle and fall to lust everyday, and women, even Christians, don’t seem to care. They still wear their shorts, skirts, dresses, sleeveless shirts, spaghetti straps, hanging shirts, plunging necklines, revealing their legs, a lot of skin, cleavage, midriff, sometimes to attract (or [arguably] seduce) men whether consciously or not. Of course, many women would not say or admit that. But ultimately, whatever their reason is, it becomes less relevant. It’s the effect which is relevant.

Ok, to avoid gender bias, why does it seem that I’m talking about women? What about men? Well, if I was to believe what I heard before, men are seduced more via the eyes, while women through…, well, I’m not going to say that here. The point is, some people say women are less seduced through the eyes. I have never really heard women say, “Let’s go watch the basketball game, the players are wearing very short shorts!” Even if somebody would say it, most women don’t normally say that. But it’s very easy to imagine men saying something like that when talking about women. That, and of course, because I’m a guy, I can best speak only about men, and leave it to women to explain their struggles.

I had a classmate criticize that “rule” of my old group once, saying that if the guy was a real Christian, even if the woman was buck naked and right beside him, he would not lust after her [and what, don’t tell me you also expect the Christian guy to still be thinking of how to evangelize her]. Come on! Get real! Many men still have a great weakness for lust, as I have mentioned earlier. Only astounding Christians would be able to do that, and though they exist, they are very rare. Yes, the temptation that is beheld every Christian can be resisted by said Christian as God said in His Word, but my question to the woman would be, why even put the guy through such temptation. You may be thinking, “Why, don’t I have the right to do what I want, what feels comfortable to me or what I like? Is it my fault that guys sin or lust when they see me wearing this, looking this way, when I’m just doing my own business? Is that my responsibility? Am I my brother’s keeper?”

Aha. See… One of the oldest questions in the Book, as told to God by the guilty Cain. Am I my brother’s keeper. Did you ever think you would be asking God that very same question? Am I my brother’s keeper? The answer seems rather obvious now, doesn’t it. Yes, sister, you are your brother’s keeper. You are responsible for the welfare of your brother. It is a part of your responsibility as a Christian to help your brother to avoid to lust rather than encourage it. How cruel it is to place beer on the table in front of the person who was addicted to alcohol and is still recovering and is struggling everyday to avoid falling to that temptation once again. And yes, many of your brothers struggle everyday not to fall to the sin of lust. “But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” (Matthew 5:22)

Please do not adhere to the superficial mentality that is emptily encouraged by the saying, “if you’ve got it, flaunt it.” I’m sure many of you got it. You don’t need to flaunt it. As a Christian, there is so much more to be admired from you than just your looks, which are superficial anyway. Allow others to admire you for something more important than your looks, by not forcing your looks on them. Reserve yourself for your husband alone. I believe he will like that

This is just a plea from one of your brothers who, like many of our brothers, struggle with temptation everyday. I believe many of our brothers bear the same request. Consider our welfare when deciding what to wear. As we also should consider your welfare when we interact with you.

What is more important, your freedom to wear anything you want, or your help to your brothers to preserve their commitment and relationship with God? If your right eye causes you to sin, you’re supposed to gauge it out (figuratively speaking), rather than keep it but let your body go to hell, as written in Matthew 5:29-30. So if what your wearing leads others to sin, would it not be better to give that up, than to give your brother up to hell? And not just your brothers, but unbelievers as well.

“ “Everything is permissible” – but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible” – but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.” (1 Corinthians 10:23-24)

“Do not cause anyone to stumble… For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.” (1 Corinthians 10:32-33)


- A. L. E. -

(Originally written: 2004, June 17, 1:03 am)