<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Why I Don't Drink Alcohol 

If you’re going to criticize this article, then read it completely first. We would often say, “do not judge a book by its cover”, but how we can easily criticize a piece of writing we have not completely read.

There is a belief that everybody has drunk, or even at least tried an alcoholic beverage, at least once in their life. That belief, which at times is used to try to prompt nondrinkers to at least try it once, is false. I have never drank alcohol. Never even tried.

Some would say, since I have never even tried it, then I have no right to speak against it. Again, not true. That would be the case only if I was against the taste, or had some other negative personal experience with it. But my being against alcohol is based on the well documented negative effects of alcohol. And I don’t need to try it to be aware of these negative effects. Much like when asking someone to drink hemlock. If you already know it’s poison, you’re not going to say, “I should try it anyway, I might like it; why deprive myself of possible pleasure.” For all we know, hemlock might actually taste good, and it might give you a feeling of so much pleasure, right up to the point it kills you, that is. No one cares to try if hemlock is pleasurable because we know that its negative effects far outweigh the possible positive effects.

So what are these negative effects? There are physical effects such as cirrhosis, and even cancer (and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, which is a permanent birth defect brought about by pregnant women drinking, which is also the leading cause of mental retardation in the West), but one may argue that these are only for those who consume alcohol in unreasonable amounts, which may as well be true. But personally, I am against it, not simply because of its physical effects, but because of how it affects our thinking, our minds, or our rationale, or quite simply our mental faculties.

It is well documented that alcohol affects our thinking. That’s why there are laws against driving under the influence. We not only lose control of our motor skills (both in driving and control of our bodily functions), even our rationality becomes affected. And it is this effect which I hate most about alcohol. It’s hard enough to make good decisions sober. Why would you lessen the sharpness of your thinking (which is hard enough to maintain even without drinking) by choice for a superficial feeling of pleasure, when making bad choices even when sober can already cause catastrophic results, and yet we throw away our fate for a simple buzz? (You may read my other article, A Stupid, Impulsive, Life-Threatening Decision) Some of us may already be aware of the victims of driving under the influence. Some have lost lives, while others keep on living with the consequences of a life-altering accident. And sometimes, it was not even the drinker who fell victim; it’s some other innocent, hapless soul. Albeit, the saying, “when you drink, don’t drive”, may help this situation, it is somewhat ironic, that here in the Philippines, according to a news report I saw, it is already illegal for those intoxicated to ride in Public Utility Jeepneys. This law came to be when Conrado M. Glino and Marvin Baloes, who rode on a jeepney drunk, stabbed dead another passenger, Domingo Boji, who was defending his wife, Virginia, from the rudeness of Glino, the aforementioned drunk. This law is to the relief of some commuters who have experienced not just the inconvenience, but at times the rudeness and difficulties of intoxicated passengers. And although we may be spared of this now in PUJ’s, drunks, whose actions must be tolerated for some reason by those less drunk or those who choose not to indulge themselves in the vice, still abound in other public places. And I don’t understand why some people may subconsciously expect that a drunk is excusable for his or her actions. Why, because he or she is intoxicated? It’s not like someone forced them to drink. If you chose to drink, you should be liable for everything you do while under the influence. In places like the Philippines, it is sometimes expected that being drunk is an excuse to do whatever offensive or harmful thing you want, although in reality laws are in place that will hold you liable. If hateful remarks should not be excused when spoken by someone sober, it should no less be unacceptable when spoken by someone under the influence when that person chose to be under the influence anyway.

You may say that my examples so far have been a bit extreme, but truth is, dying because of this vice may almost be as bad as living with the consequences of an action done while being under the influence that you may have never done if you were sober. Have you ever done anything regrettable while drunk, like say, allowed yourself to be taken advantaged of, or be put in a compromising situation? Waking up with someone you wouldn’t normally sleep with may be humorous to some, but beating up your spouse, or doing something as dastardly to a stranger is no laughing matter. And these examples are not at all far-fetched. Saying things you will regret to a loved one, engaging in lascivious acts that would affect your future, not fulfilling commitments made to yourself, to God, or a loved one, things any one of us can do in a few moments of no control. As I said earlier, it’s hard enough to make good decisions sober.

Some have said drinking livens up a party. An engagement without alcohol is boring, they say. If that’s the case with you, then you have boring friends. When my friends and I get together, we don’t drink. We hang out wherever we can stay and even if we decide not to do anything else, we can simply talk for hours. We can stay at a coffee shop, at a food court, or even just a public park, and as long as we had each other, it was enough for a fun and engaging time, no alcohol necessary. If you need alcohol to have fun with your friends, maybe you need more interesting friends. Try a Christian church. Once you’re there, bring your old friends to meet your new friends.

Some people say going to bars and drinking is fun, and it’s one of the most fun things you could ever do. I’ve been to bars myself, not really by choice, and I agree with the opinion of other people who’ve been to bars themselves that bars are boring. Some people dance just to make it interesting. Some people laud those who drink a new concoction or some other way of drinking as if it was some impressive feat done only by the most skilled or greatest of people. They try to make their own fun. Their attempt at fun is boring, and I think, weak and pathetic. Worse, is it’s expensive too, not to forget to mention the other consequences I’ve already mentioned. And if you get drunk, what’s so fun about puking and having a hangover. Worse is when you feel your pocket, and find out you lost all your money. Or maybe even worse, is when you discover you have more money than you remember, and scarily ask yourself, “What did I do last night?!”

Some say it takes courage to drink, and that is admirable, but I say, anyone can drink, and there’s nothing impressive about getting down liquid to your stomach, no matter what it tastes or what the effect (And I wonder why drink it at all if it doesn’t taste good or if the effect is not pleasant). Personally, I have found, that not drinking garners more admiration, as it is so easy to drink or to just give in to please everyone, but more difficult and more admirable to hold on to your beliefs and commitments despite annoying or even difficult circumstances. I would rather trust someone who can hold on to their values and commitments rather than someone who tries to impress me with drinking.

Some have said that drinking gives courage for those times that we need the extra boost. If that’s the case with you, you are a coward. You don’t need alcohol, you need courage. What are you going to do when your family is in a crisis and the going gets tough? Drink? You need to develop true courage so that when the big problems come you can bravely face them with a clear, rational mind.

I met a guy who was making fun of me because I wouldn’t drink. He said what do my friends and I do when we’re together. I said we just talk. And he was making fun of that. And I was wondering, when him and his friends are together, do they just drink silently, or talk about what they’re drinking. I doubt they were playing basketball or doing somersaults while drinking. Expectedly, while drinking, they too are just talking. Kinda like what we did. Except they need alcohol. Like I said, boring friends. Some people say alcohol loosens lips or it makes it easier for some people to open up. Like I said, cowardly. When my friends and I are not goofing off ourselves, when we get to talk about more serious and more personal stuff, we can do so without alcohol. We can face reality and confront ourselves without any alcohol.

Some have suggested that drinking alcohol is good for one’s health as research has shown that drinking a glass of wine a day does some good (although researches have also appeared that shed doubt on this popular belief, arguing flawed methodologies on earlier research, and revealing these benefits are only possible when alcohol is drank heavily where the harm has outweighed the benefits). Drinkers often quote this to encourage themselves with what they do, and sometimes even use this incorrectly to encourage non-drinkers to take up the habit, failing to hear the warning of experts that non-drinkers should not take up drinking because of this as research has shown drinking wine potentially still has more consequences than benefits. The health benefit mentioned earlier is only a positive on the many negatives it could still cause, and using that as a reason to start drinking is as flawed as the reasoning that says since second hand smoke is deadlier than first-hand smoke, that is the best reason why people should start taking up smoking. I have little doubt that hemlock contains some vitamins and minerals, unfortunately no research would care to discover it, as even if it had 100% RDA of all your vitamin and mineral needs, the consequence (death) would still outweigh a full day’s Recommended Daily Allowance. Even if hemlock could kill cancer itself, I doubt people would take it. You still have to weigh the benefits with the consequences.

Someone has told me that she drinks for the taste. Even if that was the case, again, you have to weigh the benefits with consequences. One should not do something just because it simply feels good. Even if hemlock was known to be the tastiest drink there is, I doubt people would start drinking it.

These days, it’s so easy to just do what everyone else does. So I was fairly amused when I read about a subculture these days called Straight Edge. Straight edgers, or those who practice the straight edge lifestyle, do not drink alcohol, use tobacco, nor take illegal drugs, many coming from the younger generation. I believe the most prominent straight edger is WWE/ECW “Superstar” C.M. Punk, who practices the lifestyle on-screen and off-screen. I believe straight edgers recognize the value of clean living, and since not all straight edgers are Christians, I feel somewhat embarrassed for my Christian brethren when I ask them, “do you drink?” and they answer, “no, only during special events,” as if that wasn’t drinking.

Some people will argue that Jesus himself drank wine, but I am one of many who believe that the Bible uses the term wine for any liquid-based grape product, even unfermented “wine”, meaning I, like others, believe they drank simple grape juice. If you would ask, “why would grape juice be so popular those days?” I would say, you have to remember, there was no filtration system back then, so you can imagine how dirty the water then was. So fruit juice would be so much cleaner, and so much healthier. Even now, we acknowledge the benefits of drinking fruit juice. We can’t forget to mention that it’s tastier. But why grape juice, as opposed to, say, orange juice? Because grapes are much easier to squeeze, during those times, they just had to step on the grapes on a vat. Try doing that with oranges. And grapes were more abundant. So today, when many Christians remember the Last Supper, they drink grape juice (some refer to it as unfermented wine).

If the consequences outweigh the benefits, then why even try it, especially when the benefits are so superficial anyway. If there’s a chance that you could get addicted to it (and research has shown that alcohol is addictive) then don’t try it altogether; if you don’t plan or want to develop the habit in the first place, if rationally you already know that any possible benefits are still outweighed by the consequences. Trying it doesn’t even make any sense if you have already decided, if you’ll just think about it. Then again, there is also that belief that drinking also kills brain cells (it actually does not really “kill” brain cells, but damages dendrites, which in effect can change nerve-structure permanently), and if we are aware how smart we are, then we should preserve as many brain cells as we can.

Alcoholism has also destroyed so many lives. And I don’t think drinkers wake up one day and decide, “I’m going to start being an alcoholic today.” No, drinkers fall into alcoholism, an addiction that becomes so hard to get rid of and destroys so many. To not slide into that trap, one can not drink altogether.

I do not merely not drink. I am against alcohol. (Obviously, I speak of alcoholic beverages only, not isopropyl or rubbing alcohol or the like.) Just like I am against tobacco and against illegal drugs. I just chose to discuss alcohol as I believe more people have found drinking it more acceptable than smoking. I am even against the Filipino drink Cali, which although is no longer a Shandy (which contains alcohol), I am still against it as it used to contain alcohol, and even if it doesn’t anymore, I believe that it is a prelude to drinking alcohol, rather than a replacement, as I believe in Filipino Pastor Eric C. Maliwat (of DZAS fame) who says that the taste prepares and conditions the younger generation for the taste of beer (since I have never tried it, I take his word for it, and I have asked some who have tried it who have agreed with him). When an establishment serves alcohol, I prefer to eat someplace else. I hate being surrounded by people who are drinking. It used to be ok with me, when people invite me to go with them to bars, even if I wouldn’t drink, but when I realized I wasn’t having any fun, I realized the futility of my presence. I doubt I was going to win anyone for Christ there, as someone may even ask what would I be doing there. Most annoying is when a drunk behaves as if he or she can be excused or get away with one’s actions because of one’s intoxication which was voluntary in the first place. If I had a girlfriend, I’d hate her to be exposed to such people, so I’d take her as far away as I can. So I avoid going to such places as much as I can, and if it was my choice, if someone wanted to hang out with me, it had to be someplace that didn’t serve alcohol. I believe spending money on alcohol is a waste of money. I believe sin tax on alcohol should be increased to further discourage its consumption. If it was my choice, I’d ban it altogether.

The consequences of alcohol outweigh the benefits. It’s hard enough to make good decisions when sober. Why would you want to willingly further handicap that.


- A. L. E. -
(Originally written: 2008, January 27, 4:19 pm)