<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Why I Don't Have the Need to be Rich 

A sister in the Lord asked me if I ever considered becoming a full-time programmer. I’ve been teaching since I graduated, and although one of my administrative tasks was to develop systems for the school I currently teach in when they first hired me, I currently teach with a full teaching load, as I have been doing for the past few years now.

I enjoy teaching. I realized too late in my college life that I enjoy being with people more than I enjoy working eight hours a day in front of a computer. Fortunately, God had plans for me as He did not waste my knowledge in my secular field; no, He used it in a way that I was happy with.

But although I am nicely paid in the College I teach in, I am aware I could earn more if I chose to work in a big I.T. company. But I choose to avoid a grind I will not enjoy as much, in a job I do not look forward to and I do not find personally satisfying. (Please note I am talking about me; I know a lot of people are happy being programmers, and would be unhappy being teachers, and there’s nothing wrong with that.) So I choose to stay in a job I love, in an Institution with people I like, even though I get paid less when compared to a programmer in a big I.T. company. Thus, I am happy, content, and fulfilled.

After explaining this to her, this sister in the Lord then asked me (to paraphrase), “Yeah, but aren’t you willing to make the sacrifice to get a higher pay for the benefit of your family?”

Her question actually got me thinking. It was a valid point. Shouldn’t I be sacrificing my happiness, contentment and fulfillment for the benefit of my present and future family?

Ecclesiastes 4:6 says, “Better one handful with tranquility than two handfuls with toil and chasing after the wind” Its point is that what you have physically is not as important as other less tangible things. You may have more, but if it results in chasing after the wind, that is, an unfruitful, unimportant, and very tiring pursuit, other than accumulation of physical wealth, it’s not as good as having less, but having peace. Take note that it said one handful with tranquility, not no handfuls with tranquility. The point here is the point mentioned in Matthew 6:25-33; God does not want us to be without, but rather He wants us to have enough (one handful), and as long as we have what is more important (tranquility), having more physical wealth (two handfuls), when it entails toil that takes away tranquility and forces you to chase after the wind, is not as good. The next few paragraphs will also show why the accumulation of wealth can be likened to chasing after the wind.

Right now, I earn enough for my needs, and a little more for the needs of those God surrounds me with. My current job gives me such tranquility and so much fulfillment, satisfaction and happiness, among other things, especially when the other opportunities that come with it are considered. To sacrifice this to get more handfuls of physical wealth, if it robs me of my tranquility, but instead gives me toilsome labor and less satisfying work (to me) would actually be a step down and a step in the wrong direction. I can say so because the Bible says so, so I can relax in the comfort that God knows what’s best for me, and that He will take care of the rest if I just stick to His word and trust in Him (Romans 8:28). He knows what’s truly best for me, not this world.

Ecclesiastes 5:11 states two related points. The first half of the verse states, “As goods increase, so do those who consume them.” It just doesn’t talk about family and friends, whose dependence on you may increase as your wealth increases, although that in itself is interesting. It is obviously good to help those that need it, but I would like to emphasize something mentioned in Proverbs 3:27, “Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act.” The verse states not withholding good, but to those who deserve it. The problem with some people is they become leeches (excuse the term). If they know they can get money from you, some people will abuse you repeatedly. To the point that they take no responsibility for their actions anymore, and even further indulge in their vices. And allowing yourself to be used this way indirectly encourages them in their lifestyle. I was appalled at the gall of someone who borrowed my money which was in the hands of someone else who entrusted the money to him who subsequently just used the money to go on a date. If he didn’t have money to go on a date, he shouldn’t have (not that this was the first questionable thing he has ever done). Years after, he still hasn’t paid that debt, not that I ever expected him to.

Another truth that that half of the verse alludes to is that even without considering external people, you yourself increase your needs as your wealth increases. When I was in College (re: when I had very little money), I could make do with two or three pieces of very small Spanish bread worth one peso each, and coffee with hot water (no milk nor sugar or anything else), and that was already a meal. And although I can still easily do that today, I find that I don’t even blink when I eat at not only popular fastfoods, but already fancier restaurants. Some people tend to buy more expensive clothes once they can afford to do so. Some buy more expensive gadgets, jewelry, merchandise, accessories or even just vanity stuff, once they can afford to do so. A person’s “needs” also increase as their wealth increases, although in reality what’s happening is that their wants are converted to needs. Although prepaid used to be enough, now subscription lines are more practical; when you used to make do with free TV, you now can’t live without cable; when traveling via public transport used to be ok, now your own car is a must; when before you could make do entertaining yourself while traveling, now you need an I-pod; now your computer at home must have internet connection, and not just dial-up, but DSL, now you need the latest cellphone, now you must have those new appliances that will make life easier or more pleasant, and how the list is endless! And as this is true for yourself, this is true for your family members, who are dependent on you. As your goods increase, not only do those who consume them increase numerically, but also the “needs” of those who consume them also increase. And by this argument, you can easily conclude that people will never have enough. Therefore trying to earn enough may be a never ending cycle, as as your wealth increases, so do your needs. People will never be satisfied. No wonder the Bible states in 1 Timothy 6:6, “But godliness with contentment is great gain.” Emphasizing what I said earlier, it’s not about having a lot, it’s about having enough, or to be more specific, it’s about being content with what you have, as long as you have godliness, it is in itself great gain, greater gain, I believe, than trying to satisfy an unquenchable thirst, especially if you are trying to satisfy yourself with the things of this world rather than with God. Ecclesiastes 5:10 states this more directly, “Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless.” Even if you say you don’t prioritize wealth, and even if you truly don’t, it does not mean you have absolutely no love, not even a fraction of love, for wealth nor the amassing of wealth.

The second half of Ecclesiastes 5:11 states, “And what benefit are they to the owner than to feast his eyes on them?” Sometimes, the amassing of goods brings no real value to its owner than feasting eyes on them. A simple example will be those who have more money for basic needs who ultimately turn to hobbies, as if there were no longer anything better to do in this world, no more people to help or causes to support. No, once again we turn to ourselves and wonder, “What else can I spend on to make me happy?” We spend much money on collections of items we hardly even use, maybe even thinking that the economic bubble which makes these toys and trinkets expensive will never burst. We spend our money on objects, trips and experiences that will make us artificially happy, when a much less costly alternative would have done just as well. We pursue happiness with these, hoping for gratification that can be bought. “Why not”, we argue, “when being able to get these things cost me so much… so much time, so much effort, which I could have spent on activities that would have made me truly happy… since I forfeited these for money, I must be able to get the happiness I forfeited back with money.” A horrible, circular argument. But in reality, a garage filled with expensive cars, houses in various cities and countries, a grand collection of your favorite hobby, gives little happiness to its owner as compared to the happiness of helping someone truly in need or being there for someone you love. And all these material things benefit its owner little than to feast his eyes on them.

When related to that verse, Ecclesiastes 5:12 is more somber, “The sleep of a labourer is sweet, whether he eats little or much, but the abundance of a rich man permits him no sleep.” The adage, “The more things you own, the more things that own you,” is applicable here. You have to take care of the things you own, otherwise they deteriorate. You have to make sure that your vehicles are in good condition, and so are your other collections. When one of your appliances or gadgets break, you should have it fixed or else it may be as good as junk. You have to make sure that your collection is not going to be harmed by the elements, your books will not be ruined by insects, your data well backed-up. It is your problem when your car’s engine breaks down, when your computer gets infected, when a natural calamity destroys your property, when a prized possession becomes missing. When you’re rich, you have to secure your riches, or else, “a fool and his money are soon parted.” You have to make sure that the bank will not run out on you (re: bank run). You have to make sure that your investments will not go under. You have to perform due diligence to learn which are good investments. And you have to not worry that you chose the right investments, and that you will get your money back eventually, preferably with earnings. And you also have to ensure that your riches will not be stolen from you, and that the people you love will not be kidnapped for ransom. The phrase, “More money, more problems,” is also applicable here. Ecclesiastes 5:13 says, “I have seen a grievous evil under the sun: wealth hoarded at the harm of its owner.” Thus, when goods are not so much a need, but rather there is little advantage to them other than “feasting your eyes on them,” it may well be in your best interest, and for your restful sleep, to not be burdened by the responsibility of owning them. In her book, “Simplify Your Life”, which is one of my favorite non-Christian books (per se), Elaine St. James gives “one hundred ways to slow down and enjoy the things that really matter”, many of which focuses on the opposite of today’s trends, but are good advice even to Christians.

There are many reasons why I teach, like it gives me more opportunities to do other stuff and make a difference in people’s lives, and I do not consider it difficult nor a chore to do so nor prepare for it, although I believe people get benefits, whether tangible or intangible, from whatever profession they prefer to stay in. Even so, all this is for naught if time that could have been invested on income generating activities were wasted on more frivolous matters. That would be a worse way to waste our time and our lives. The point I need to make is that God did not put us in this world to become rich, at least, that should not be our priority. Then again, many people will easily say, “of course, becoming rich (getting a lot of money, or making as much money as possible) is not my first priority, but serving God is.” However if you take a look at their lives, people would rather invest their time and focus in work, whether it be overtime, a second job, a sideline, or whathaveyou, than invest their time in ministry, in service to the Lord. People will say, “I’m busy, I had to do so much for work, that’s why I haven’t been reading the Bible these days; that’s why I haven’t had time to pray; that’s why I haven’t evangelized to anyone; that’s why I haven’t served at church; that’s why I have no time to help others.” Sadly, that excuse is not even spoken, even though it is no less believed, and we expect God to adjust to our schedules, expecting that God will be satisfied with our spare time, assuming we will ever have spare time. We consume ourselves with the cares of this world; we say, but if we don’t work as much, we will not get the security we need, the financial freedom that is so desired. We ask God, “If I don’t prioritize income generating activities, how will I pay for my children’s education? How about my house’s mortgage? How do I pay the bills? How about savings for medical emergencies?! How about my family’s needs?!” All seemingly valid questions; but all mere modern versions of Matthew 6:31, which that verse addresses as well: “So do not worry, saying ‘What shall we eat’ or ‘What shall we drink’ or ‘What shall we wear’?” Verse 32 further clarifies, “For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.” We forget the power of God, and decide that we must take matters into our own hands, acting as if there was no God, like the pagans, and forget also His instruction, to which is coupled an assurance, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be given to you as well.” (Matthew 6:33)

I would be extremely saddened by the fact that at my age (albeit considered by some as relatively young, I do not) I have as little as I do if I had merely wasted all my time. But while my peers were out earning six figures, I was sharing the Word of God, in church, at homes, and outdoors, to new believers, mature believers, and unbelievers alike. While my peers were stacked with sidelines, staying up late to earn more income, I was awake too, but investing my time in ministry, studying the word, studying this world, equipping myself and others. While my peers have been earning credentials in our field of industry, I have been building credentials too, both in this world, and with teaching and preaching to this world. Though it is more sensible to invest your money than give it to someone in need, though it is more sensible to invest your time on what will earn money than to listening to a heart in need, though it is more sensible to use all your time to work for money, working for what will help others have better lives will earn dividends too, better and more secure dividends, though not in dollars or pesos or any other financial currency. “But I said, “I have laboured to no purpose; I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing. Yet what is due to me is in the LORD’s hand, and my reward is with my God.”” (Isaiah 49: 4)

I have little doubt that my peers have earned more money than me, saved more money than me, have built up loving and secure families for themselves, helped others too in various ways, but I am not ashamed of the accomplishments I have made through God, though there is no monetary benefit today. Given different paths I could have taken for myself, I am aware that I have chosen what is better, and to be truthful, though I do not have two handfuls, God has never left me to be lacking, and I have never had a day when I was without. I chose to do what I believe God wanted me to do first, although it would not generate income, but He is proving that “all these things” are given to me as well. You may say that my future is not as secure as the man with more money or assets, but money and assets can quickly disappear, but God will not, so I say God provides more security than the security tons of money could ever provide, and at the same time, God will provide you less superficial trouble, and instead more true happiness.

Luke 18:12-29 tells the story of a rich ruler who was not willing to follow Jesus’ instruction to him to “…Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come follow me.” (Luke 18:22). Some Christians believe that the challenge to the rich man is so the rich man would be more mobile. (It was never mentioned that he should give ALL his money to the poor, nor that he will not nor ever have anything else.) Although not applicable to all people, in her aforementioned book, Elaine St. James suggests, in the subsection “Hard-Core Simplicity,” that owning a house is more burdensome than renting one, as the latter also frees one from being tied down. Her first step to “simplify your life” is to “reduce the clutter in your life.” Jesus further said in Luke 18:24, “…How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!” Truly, how easier it is to give up everything for God when you don’t have that much to give up in the first place. How much worldly concerns bog us down from truly important matters can be seen from the story of the guests who refused a master’s invitation because of their busyness with the matters of this world, told in Luke 14:16-24. (“But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, ‘I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.’ Another said, ‘I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I’m on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.’… “I tell you, not one of those men who were invited will get a taste of my banquet.” Luke 14:18-19, 24) I understand why many Pastors who dedicate themselves “fulltime” to ministry are happy with their occupation even though it will hardly ever make them wealthy, in terms of this world, that is. They are free from many of the concerns of this world, sparing themselves of secular work, and are free to focus on God’s work. Forsaking worldly pursuits for a greater glory, the glory of God, that is.

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.” (Matthew 6:20-21) It takes a simple accident, an act of nature, or actions of a deceitful being, to lose these which are supposed to be for your security, but God’s security cannot be destroyed nor stolen.

“No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” (Matthew 6:24) Truly, the time you sacrifice earning money, or doing anything else for that matter, when it affects time that should have been given to God instead, shows which you are truly serving.

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?... Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matthew 6:25, 34). If someone is in need today, if good can be done today, then it has more importance than worrying about and trying to secure a future that may not be securable anyway, as you can be sure of the future effects of the Godly things that can be done today, rather than the unsure investment of sacrificing what God truly desires in your life.

Though financial freedom seems attractive, there is no greater freedom than being with God, resting in His will, believing His word, and though money and assets may provide security, there is no greater security than being with God.

If I ever get married, I suppose it is necessary that my wife have the same mindset. Sometimes, I think, assuming I will be a father, what will I answer when my child asks me, “Daddy, how come we don’t have a lot of money?” But then, I weigh that with the thought of what example I would like to give to my kids, a life dedicated to “securing” yourself financially, or a life dedicated to God. I’d rather have God’s security in my child’s life than securing my child financially, ‘cause we’re familiar with the multitude of problems our children can still encounter even if they are financially secure, something a solid relationship with God can only truly address. I am encouraged when I think about what I truly want my kids to be when they grow up.




- A. L. E. -
(Originally written: 2007, June 2, 6:21 pm)